Friday, December 31, 2010

Rose Red Beret

I made this hat as a somewhat belated gift for my sister Jessica's birthday.
Instead of trying to guess what she wanted, I asked her. Luckily I only had to show her one pattern, Rose Red by Ysolda Teague, and she liked it right off the bat. I then went to my trusty local yarn store The Yarn Barn where Beverly helped me pick out the yarn, which I am very thankful for.

I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK and Alchemy Haiku held double, made a gauge swatch and got started. I used a size 6 (4.0 mm) needles, held both yarns together, and began!
At this point, all seemed promising.

Somehow, (I’m guessing this might have been denial), I didn’t notice how big it was getting. I happily kept plowing along.
I finished.
Gave it to her.
And GASP!
It was big enough for almost two of her heads...
:(
....ripping it out wasn’t what I would call ‘fun’… .
I mustered up the energy (after letting it sit for two weeks or so), began again, ignoring gauge altogether this time, went down one size to make a small.
Luckily, this time it fits her 22 inch head, using the size 5 needles worked perfectly.
The pattern was really easy to follow, very well written, and the second time around it flew by.
She loves it and so do I! I almost didn’t want to part with it… ;)
Doesn't she look B-E-A-U-tiful? :)
Oh well! It was a bit late, but as they say better late than never.
Happy Friday!
xoxo, Callie
the magical bean

3 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

I LOVE this hat.

And J is so cute. :)

mariassecretgarden said...

A french beret for Frenchie...it only seems fitting! Beautiful hat!

Connys Cottage said...

very lovly.

And the fotos to.

greatings send you Conny

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin