Thursday, December 16, 2010

Quilted Portrait

One project I am particularly proud of is a quilted portrait I did for my drawing II class. The assignment was to make an non-traditional portrait, so I chose quilting. For years I had seen some really amazing art quilts in the magazine Quilting Arts. I had always wanted to try my hand at making one, and so when the chance presented itself I jumped on the idea. After conferring with my teacher, who gave me the go-ahead, and my mom who helped me decide how to go about doing it. I got started!
The final result really makes me happy.

I based my quilt off of an amazing photograph I saw on flickr. The photo was taken by a phenomenal photographer, whose user name is LJ. Click here to visit LJ'S profile.
Click here to visit LJ's photostream.

1. Untitled by flickr user LJ.
The resulting quilt only somewhat resembles the original photograph. Basically what I did to make it was to cut out varying shades of colors and then glue then down, putting them layer by layer on top of one another. Finally I have my mom to thank for the actual stippling of the quilt. She did an amazing job, in my opinion, and I felt very proud of how it looked. Thread painting, is what I think it's called. She zipped along, sewing the contours of the face, added wrinkles, and some extra hair. She really did do a swell job! Thanks mom! We chose some variegated brown/tan thread as well as some black and white.
I then hand sewed the binding... and turned it in the next day.
Here's a little close-up of the eyes.

The back looked like so...
All the white thread makes it seem kind of ghostly, no?
When I was photographing it, I switched the position of the portrait for a moment, and by some chance the light shined through for a moment and this is what I saw...
Old man illuminated.
Made me smile.

Can't wait to do another!
Happy Thursday,
xoxo, Callie
the magical bean

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Groovy! Maybe would should do another project together...Mom and daughter team!

Karen said...

....nice work! I think ur quilt looks alot like the photo. Can't wait to see what u do next!

Rhianne said...

Wow, Callie, this is amazing! I love the way the light caught it in the last photo as well. I'm blown away by your talent!

p.s. I have your candy cane pride of place on my tree again this year, I love it :)

Kaitlyn said...

completely gorgeous, dahling. As always. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin